Infrasonic Wildfire Detector
|Duration||Fall 2020 - Spring 2021|
|Faculty Adviser||Dr. Herb Hess|
|Client||Joe Stanley / Stanley Solutions|
The goal of the project is to create a MESH Network of Infrasonic Wildfire Sensors.
Wildfires ravage through the forests and destroy ecosystems and economies, yet still, our best means of detection is by seeing and smelling smoke. The ability to provide a signal to firefighting services when the fire is still small could save countless homes and wilderness areas. In order to modernize this detection process, we propose a device that uses infrasonic detection and signal processing to detect wildfires. Our aim is to set up a mesh network of smart nodes and dumb nodes that can detect infrasound waves (0 – 20 Hz) and communicate this information wirelessly. This technology has the potential to drastically improve our ability to mitigate wildfires by allowing us to detect the problem sooner.
- Wildfires produce a sound signature in the infrasonic range.
- Detecting sound in that frequency indicates the presence of a wildfire.
- Cheap communication electronics has made it possible to create a distributed sensing network.
- Affordable and resilient sensors for infrasound are now a possibility.
3 sensor devices, capable of detecting infrasonic sound waves and networking with each other and the internet.
- Detect infrasonic sound waves.
- Creates a mesh network of similar devices to transmit fire status.
- Has a rugged enclosure capable of surviving drops and impacts, as well as surviving the elements.
- Fire Infrasound - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6929188/
- LoRa Range and Reliability - https://medium.com/home-wireless/testing-lora-radios-with-the-limesdr-mini-part-2-37fa481217ff
- LoRa Mesh Example - https://nootropicdesign.com/projectlab/2018/10/20/lora-mesh-networking/
- Simple LoRa Library - https://github.com/sandeepmistry/arduino-LoRa
SolidWorks Simulation Performed
- 5N load on sharp end of object
- Notice stress concentrations
LoRa GPS Test
- Red dots where packets were received
- 1 mile range for line of sight
Name: Meridian Haas
Name: Cory Holt
Name: Andrew Malinowski
Name: Carlos Santos
Hardware Datasheets & Description Sheets
File:2020 infrasonic wildfire detector NEO-6 DataSheet (GPS.G6-HW-09005).pdf
File:2020 infrasonic wildfire detector U-blox6 ReceiverDescrProtSpec (GPS.G6-SW-10018) Public.pdf
File:2020 infrasonic wildfire detector SX1278 datasheet.pdf
File:2020 infrasonic wildfire detector APX192 Enhanced Single Cell datasheet en.pdf