Large Project Garage (HEV Shop)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
HEV Work Area (Large Project Garage) GJ 120
Safety Procedures for HEV Shop 
General Safety (working in pairs)
- When working on equipment in the HEV shop, there must be at least two people present. Keep work areas clean, and unused tools put away in their place. Avoid unnecessary tripping hazards on the ground (cords, hoses, tools, etc).
- Use eye and skin protection when dealing with hazardous chemicals. Keep chemicals in the chemical cabinet, call UI environmental Heath and safety at 885-6524.
- Fuel and flammable chemicals must be stored in the cabinet. Fuel must be in a metal ‘safety can’.
- Used oil and antifreeze should be drained in the storage containers on the west end of the engine bay.
- When working under vehicles, or any time there is danger of flying material (hammering, compressed air, etc.) eye protection must be worn.
- When running an engine, or creating fumes (welding, etc.) position the fume hood so that it will minimize polluting the air in the shop.
- Make sure jack capacity is adequate for the job. Lift off of designed lift points, or directly on the flat part of vehicle frame/suspension. Let others know when the vehicle is being lifted. Absolutely no one should be underneath the vehicle while being raised until it is supported with safety stands.
Vehicle on jack stands
- If only raising one side of vehicle, place stands on each end of that side.
- Rope off vehicles on jack stands with danger tape.
- Rope off unused electrical components with danger tape.
- Use electrical tape to cover unused ends of tools.
- UI environmental Heath and safety: 885-6524
- Patrick Paulus (CSC): email@example.com
- Dan Cordon: firstname.lastname@example.org