Advanced COM Device
The ACOM team is working to create a faster more reliable communication system to be deployed on a sub-orbital balloon, as well as prototyping more efficient enclosures.
|Duration||Spring 2017 - Fall 2018|
|Faculty Adviser||Dr. Fang Li|
|Duration||Fall 2016 - Spring 2017|
In the past NASA AMES has used Iridium Modems to establish communication between flight experiments and ground stations in order to facilitate the transfer of data. However in previous experiments the equipment used was based on the 9602 Iridium Modem which only supports short bursts data communication. In order to make missions more efficient they are seeking a way to increase the amount of data that can be received during a single missions.
- Complete 9523 Iridium Modem Data Streaming System.
- 3D printed and Fully Tested Tube Deployed Reentry Vehicle prototypes.
- Zigbee Mesh Network Prototype.
- 9523 Iridium Modem Development Board
- Breaks out all 9523 functionality
- Integrate Zigbee Wireless module
- 9523 Iridium Modem interface Library
- Interface with 9523 Iridium Modem
- Data streaming capability
- Unit Test
- Zigbee interface library
- Code Documentation
- Create CAD designs of components
- Space efficient design for modem assembly
- Efficient strut deployment method
- Fit into a 8”x8”x12” rectangular cavity
- 3D print prototypes
- Deploy from High altitude balloon for testing
The Mechanical Engineering focus will be to take the above parts and assemblies and redesign them to accomplish several goals.
- Fit the iridium modem and associated hardware efficiently inside.
- Find an efficient way to deploy the struts in order to deploy the wing.
A prototype will be created using 3D printing technologies for design validation. It will then be tested in flight on a high altitude balloon.
The final design while folded, has to fit into a 8”x8”x12” rectangular cavity and should be reusable.
|Team members left to right|
|Hanna Salian||I am a Computer Science major and Mathematics minor. I enjoy reading, writing, working on digital art, and learning mixed martial arts in my free time.||Computer Science|
|Mellisa Dow||I am majoring in Electrical Engineering with an interest in electromagnetics/antennas/microwaves. I also enjoy playing violin, swimming, walking around, and visiting the humane society.||Electrical Engineer|
|Peter Fetros||I'm a Computer Science and Computer Engineering double major with a passion for operating systems, embedded systems/software and Linux.||Computer Engineer|
|Trevor Morse||I am majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics. I enjoy exploring the fields of AI and ML as well as playing sports with friends.||Computer Science|
|Byron Bowles||My name is Byron Bowles I am a Mechanical Engineering Senior at the University of Idaho and enjoy 3d modeling and mechanics of material classes. Originally from Potlatch, Idaho, I enjoy skiing, tinkering, reading, and travelling with my wife and 2 dogs.||Mechanical Engineer|
|Tysen Buster||My name is Tysen and I'm majoring in mechanical engineering. I enjoy camping in the summer and snowboarding in the winter.||Mechanical Engineer|